Choosing bathroom paint is not an easy task. Many people would just do it, without stopping to think about what should be done before starting. But the consequences of making a quick decision can be disastrous. After all, this is not something that you’re going to do very often. So it’s best to take some time to consider the consequences first.
Let’s take a look at 5 things to think about before choosing bathroom paint.
1. Most importantly, you need to choose bathroom paint that will not mold or mildew easily. After all, your bathroom is probably the dampest room in your house.
To help prevent mildew, you have two choices. You can buy a paint that is made especially for bathrooms, that contains a chemical that kills mildew before it can take hold. Or you can use ordinary paint, and add a mildewcide to it first.
2. A closely related consideration is choosing bathroom paint that is resistant to moisture. Using the wrong kind of paint could allow moisture to seep in, causing the paint to peel.
This problem can be prevented if you are using special bathroom paint, which helps to prevent peeling as well as mildew. However, this is not really necessary, as semi-gloss and gloss paint textures will not allow moisture to seep in to the wall.
3. One thing that many people would not even consider when painting a bathroom – who are the main users of the room? If it will be used primarily by guests, then you can pick unusual colors that you might not want to look at every day yourself.
And a bathroom intended to be used by children would certainly need special consideration. Kids should be made as comfortable as possible in their own bathroom, since it is there that they learn some valuable lessons.
4. The one choice that most people would make without being reminded is the paint color. This, of course, is a matter of personal taste. However you should keep in mind that color can be used to make the room seem larger or smaller. And it can also influence your mood – and even your whole life, if you are an advocate of feng shui.
5. Finally, you need to decide if you really want to use paint at all. Maybe some other method of decoration would be preferable. Ceramic tile, for instance, is an excellent choice for a bathroom, as it is thoroughly water-proof. And even wallpaper can be used, if you choose a type that is water-resistant.
Once you have considered and evaluated all the factors, you should be able to come to a decision about choosing bathroom paint. But maybe you need a more thorough look at these choices.