Firstly, you can use clotrimazole cream to treat a rash or eliminate dandruff on the scalp. It can also be used as an adjunct therapy in patients with pityriasis Versicolor, but it is ineffective as a first-line treatment for seborrheic dermatitis. Clotrimazole cream is also commonly prescribed with oral antibiotics for treating rosacea, acne, and other bacterial skin infection. Clotrimazole cream uses may include treating skin diseases such as athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, and yeast infections. Keep reading about Clotrimazole cream uses, benefits, side effects, and Related Warnings.
About clotrimazole: a fungal infection cream –
Clotrimazole cream is a topical antifungal cream that effectively treats almost every fungal or yeast infection on the skin. This cream is effective against athlete’s foot, jock’s itch, ringworm, and candida. This topical medication is available in various forms, including a vaginal cream and a cream applied to the skin. You can also apply in the vaginal area to treat vaginal thrush (a yeast infection). The active ingredient in clotrimazole cream is clotrimazole, which is an imidazole antifungal. Clotrimazole works by preventing the growth of fungi. Not exactly how clotrimazole works, but it is thought to work by interfering with the fungal cell membrane.
Some of the most common symptoms of fungal or yeast infections are:
- Localized itching, redness, scaling, and inflammation
- Itching or irritation of the vaginal area in females
- Recurrent rash on chest or abdomen in children
- Boils that don’t heal properly
- Itching, redness, or sores on the skin.
Clotrimazole Cream uses –
Clotrimazole cream uses may include the following: .
|Application||Topical, external use only|
|Composition||Sorbitan monostearate, polysorbate 60, cetyl esters wax, cetostearyl alcohol, octyldodecanol, purified water, and benzyl alcohol|
|Therapeutic Action||It damages the cell membrane of the fungi|
|Use||Treat fungal or yeast infections on skin|
|Side effects||athlete’s foot, jock’s itch, ringworm, andida(vaginal yeast infection) and a few others.|
How to use clotrimazole skin cream –
Clotrimazole cream is applied to the affected area of the skin 3-4 times per day for 2-4 weeks. You should apply the cream to the skin with a cotton swab or clean fingers. It should be applied to the skin in a thin layer and should not be rubbed into the skin.
Follow these instructions carefully.
- For jock’s itch, before application, clean and dry the groin area completely to remove any moisture. Do not wear underwear made from synthetic fibers like nylon or rayon. Avoid skin-tight wear and opt for cotton underwear and loose boxers.
- Avoid wearing tight and closed footwear to treat an athlete’s foot infection. Let your skin breathe, and do not let it sweat. Do not wear synthetic or woolen-made socks. Wear flip-flops or open sandal wear.
- To treat candida, properly wash the area with water. Avoid using soaps in the vaginal area. Use the ointment on dry skin. Avoid wearing tight underwear made with synthetic fibers. Opt for loose cotton wear. In case of unwanted moisture, consult your doctor and ask for a drying or soothing antifungal powder.
- For treating hand or nail infections, apply on clean and dry skin without any moisture. Do not wear hand gloves to prevent transferring. It will sweat the skin.
- Please do not use it until prescribed or suggested by a doctor. Only use infected areas with proper guidelines. Avoid getting the product into your eyes, nose, ears, and mouth.
What are the most common causes of fungal infection –
Infections caused by fungi or yeast usually appear on the skin, feet, and hands. Fungi generally thrive in warm, moist areas with no breathing room, such as between toes or fingers, groin, or vagina. These areas are susceptible to infection because they do not dry out easily and are prone to moisture for longer periods.
How is Clotrimazole skin cream used to treat fungal infections on the scalp?
A clotrimazole cream, also called miconazole topical solution 1 %, is a prescription medication used to treat fungal infections of the skin and scalp. It works by slowing down or stopping the growth of fungus. Apply the cream once daily for three weeks to eliminate ringworm (fungus) on the scalp. If it doesn’t clear up after three months, talk to your doctor about how to treat it.
You may be required to use this medication for several weeks, even months.
What are some of the side effects of using Clotrimazole Cream?
Common side effects of clotrimazole cream include:
Side effects are usually mild but may include oral thrush and vaginal yeast infections. Get emergency medical help if you have any of these symptoms of an allergic reaction: hives, difficulty breathing, feeling faint, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, throat, or neck, blistering of the skin, oozing, or open sores.
What should I know about the storage and disposal of Clotrimazole topical cream?
Store the Clotrimazole cream in a cool and dark place, away from heat and moisture. It would be ideal if you kept it at room temperature. Please keep children and pets away from it as it may be dangerous to them. Could you not keep it in the refrigerator? Dispose of when it expires.
Other tips to prevent fungal infection –
Fungal infections are caused by tiny organisms that live and survive in warm and moist environments. There are several ways to prevent and treat fungal infections.
- It is important to follow good hygiene practices, like washing your hands often, especially before you eat. Keeping your feet and toes clean after every time you go outside.
- If you are going to be in a wet or moist environment, like a pool or a lake, you can wear open sandal wear and clothes with natural cotton that will protect your feet and skin.
- You can always keep your skin dry after you swim or bathe. Pat dry your infected skin completely with a towel to remove any moisture.
- Use antifungal soaps after heavy exercise sessions or excessive sweating. Rinse with water immediately after accidental exposure.
Precautionary measures of Clotrimazole –
- It would help to inform your doctor beforehand about any prevailing allergies.
- Women should let their doctor know in case of pregnancy or lactation.
- Clotrimazole cream may react with certain medications and topical products containing ingredients such as amphotericin. b and nystatin.
- Do not use any Oil-based creams or ointments like vaseline with clotrimazole.
- While treating your fungal or yeast infection, keep the area clean and dry before applying. Do not wear tight or synthetic clothing and allow the skin to breathe.
- Do not apply this cream on open cuts and wounds.
- In case of using this cream on a lactating nipple, wash the product completely off before breastfeeding your baby. It is harmful to the baby.
Is this safe to use in pregnant or breastfeeding mothers?
Although no major study has shown that taking this cream during pregnancy or lactation has any negative consequences, it is best to avoid it if not recommended by a doctor. Because it is a highly reactive cream, using it on an infected lactating nipple may damage the infant.
Is it safe to use?
Clotrimazole cream is an antifungal cream. The cream is used to treat infections, rashes, and burns in adults. This cream should only be used when prescribed or recommended by your doctor. Do not apply any medication without a proper prescription.
Is it safe for children to use Clotrimazole cream?
No. Children must not use this cream until prescribed by a doctor. The side effects of this cream might not be tolerable to children.
Can we use Clotrimazole cream to treat acne and pimples?
No. Clotrimazole cream is not applicable to treat acne, blemishes, or pimples. Avoid using this cream anywhere near the face.
Can Clotrimazole cream be used to treat redness of the skin?
No. Avoid using it unless a doctor or physician diagnoses a fungal infection.
Is Clotrimazole cream an antibiotic?
No. Clotrimazole cream is an antifungal cream, and it is used only to treat fungal or yeast infections when prescribed by a doctor.
How long does it take to work?
It starts working within a few days. However, this cream’s effectiveness depends on the infection’s severity.