Over the last several years, over $1 billion in student loan debt has been forgiven for students who attended for-profit colleges. The reasons for the for-profit college student loan forgiveness include borrower defense to repayment claims, closed schools, and other lawsuits.
The Biden Administration has forgiven the most amount of student loan debt of any president, with several recent announcements helping over 200,000 borrowers.
However, figuring out if you qualify can be challenging. Here is the list of for-profit colleges that qualify for student loan forgiveness.
For-Profit College Student Loan Forgiveness List
There are over 155 for-profit colleges that qualify for student loan forgiveness under various plans and settlements. However, many of the “owner” names don’t match the college names. We’re working to put the individual school names here on this list.
Note: Not all students for all years/schools will qualify. You still must meet the criteria for either borrower defense or closed school discharge. However, for some schools, all borrowers will qualify.
For example, Corinthian Colleges entered into a settlement, but the actual names of the schools are Everest, WyoTech, and others. As such, borrowers may not know if they qualify for programs.
For the list below, we list the parent company name, and then the list of affiliated for-profit schools.
Alta Colleges, Inc. (Westwood)
American Commercial Colleges, Inc.
- American Commercial College
American National University
- American National University
Ana Maria Piña Houde and Marc Houde
Anthem Education Group (InternationalEducation Corporation)
- Anthem College
- Anthem Institute
- University of Phoenix
- Western International University
- ATI Career Training Center
- ATI College
- ATI College of Health
- ATI Technical Training Center
B&H Education, Inc.
- Marinello School of Beauty
- Ashford University
- University of the Rockies
Capella Education Company (StrategicEducation, Inc.)
Career Education Corporation
- American InterContinental University
- Briarcliffe College
- Brooks College
- Brooks Institute
- Collins College
- Colorado Technical University
- Gibbs College
- Harrington College of Design
- International Academy of Design and Technology
- Katharine Gibbs School
- Le Cordon Bleu
- Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts
- Le Cordon Bleu Institute of Culinary Arts
- Lehigh Valley College
- McIntosh College
- Missouri College of Cosmetology North
- Pittsburgh Career Institute
- Sanford‐Brown College
- Sanford‐Brown Institute
- Brown College
- Brown Institute
- Washington Business School
- Allentown Business School
- Western School of Health and Business Careers
- Ultrasound Diagnostic Schools
- School of Computer Technology
- Al Collins Graphic Design School
- Orlando Culinary Academy
- Southern California School of Culinary Arts
- California Culinary Academy
- California School of Culinary Arts
- Pennsylvania Culinary Institute
- Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago
- Scottsdale Culinary Institute
- Texas Culinary Academy
- Kitchen Academy
- Western Culinary Institute
Center for Employment Training
- Center for Employment Training
Center for Excellence in Higher Education(CEHE)
- California College San Diego
- Independence University
Corinthian Colleges, Inc.
- Everest University Online
- Everest College Phoenix
- Heald College
Computer Systems Institute
- Computer Systems Institute
Court Reporting Institute, Inc.
- Court Reporting Institute
- La’ James College of Hairstyling
- La’ James International College
- American Career College
- American Career Institute
Delta Career Education Corporation
- McCann School of Business & Technology
- Miami‐Jacobs Career College
- Miller Motte Business College
- Miller‐Motte College
- Miller‐Motte Technical College
- Tucson College
- American University of the Caribbean
- Carrington College
- Chamberlain University
- DeVry College of Technology
- Devry Institute of Technology
- DeVry University
- Keller Graduate School of Management
- Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
- Ross University School of Medicine
- Argosy University
- The Art Institute
- Brown Mackie College
- Illinois Institute of Art
- Miami International University of Art & Design
- New England Institute of Art
- South University
- Western State University College of Law
Education Affiliates (JLL Partners)
- All‐State Career School
- Fortis College
- Fortis Institute
Everglades College, Inc.
- Everglades University
- Keiser University
Globe Education Network
- Globe University
- Minnesota School of Business
Graham Holdings Company (Kaplan)
- Bauder College
- Kaplan Career Institute
- Kaplan College
- Mount Washington College
- Purdue University Global
Grand Canyon Education, Inc.
Infilaw Holding, LLC
- Arizona Summit Law School
- Charlotte School of Law
- Florida Coastal School of Law
International Education Corporation
- Florida Career College
- United Education Institute
ITT Educational Services Inc.
JTC Education, Inc.
- Gwinnett College
- Medtech College
- Radians College
Leeds Equity Partners V, L.P.
- Florida Technical College
- National University College
- NUC University
- Concorde Career College
- Concorde Career Institute
Lincoln Educational Services Corporation
- International Technical Institute
- Lincoln College of Technology
- Lincoln Technical Institute
Mission Group Kansas, Inc.
- Wright Business School
- Wright Career College
Premier Education Group L.P.
- American College for Medical Careers
- Branford Hall Career Institute
- Hallmark Institute of Photography
- Hallmark University
- Harris School of Business
- Institute for Health Education
- Micropower Career Institute
- Suburban Technical School
- Salter College
Quad Partners LLC
- Beckfield College
- Blue Cliff College
- Dorsey College
Remington University, Inc. (Remington College)
Southern Technical Holdings, LLC
- Southern Technical College
Sullivan and Cogliano Training Center, Inc.
- Sullivan and Cogliano Training Centers
TCS Education System
- Chicago School of Professional Psychology
Vatterott Educational Centers, Inc.
- Court Reporting Institute of St Louis
- Vatterott College
Wilfred American Education Corp.
- Robert Fiance Beauty Schools
- Robert Fiance Hair Design Institute
- Robert Fiance Institute of Florida
- Wilfred Academy
- Wilfred Academy of Beauty Culture
- Wilfred Academy of Hair & Beauty Culture
Willis Stein & Partners (ECA)
- Brightwood Career Institute
- Brightwood College
- New England College of Business and Finance
- Virginia College
How To Get Loan Forgiveness
There are two main programs that help here:
Borrower Defense To Repayment provides for the cancellation of a borrower’s federal student loans when the college violated federal or state laws or engaged in a substantial misrepresentation concerning the borrower’s student loans or the educational services paid for using the student loans. If a borrower qualifies for the borrower defense to repayment discharge, the borrower’s federal student loans will be cancelled and all previous payments refunded to the borrower.
Closed School Discharges: If a college closed while the student is enrolled or within 180 days of the student’s withdrawal, the student may be eligible for a closed school discharge of their federal student loans if they are unable to complete their education through a teach-out or by transferring credits to another school.
It’s important to remember that these loan forgiveness programs only apply to Federal student loans (such as the latest settlement with the Department of Education). If you have private student loans, there are no specific student loan forgiveness programs that can help. However, there have been various lawsuits and settlements to dismiss some private loans in connection with these for-profit schools.
Recently, Navient agreed to forgive $1.7 billion in private student loans for 66,000 borrowers who dropped out of for-profit colleges. Previously, Corinthian Colleges agreed to forgive private Genesis loans to borrowers who attended their schools.
What To Do Next
If you think you qualify, you should have been (or will be) notified by your loan servicer. However, if your contact information is not updated, you may not be.
As such, you should submit an application for the Borrower Defense To Repayment Discharge at studentaid.gov/borrower-defense/.
Notice: There are a LOT of scams out there that are using these school names to get you to pay for help processing your student loan forgiveness claims. You don’t have to pay – you can do this all for free via StudentAid.gov (which is a legitimate government website). Read our list of common student loan scams here.